Thursday, February 16, 2006

"Valentine Grinch"

Valentine day's over but I figured it won't hurt if I say bad things about it a few days afterwards. I'm sure that it will find a way to forgive me; it is the day of love after all.

Seriously though, being dateless on that day made me hate the occasion for the first time that I can remember. Gone were the days when I used to feel giddy about Valentine's. I remembered when I was in grade school, giving out a home-made card to my crush was one of the highlights of my year. Until recently, I felt that same feeling of happiness on Valentine's. This year though, I was sickened to see couples holding hands, whispering sweet nothings, laughing with each other, eating out, having drinks, making out (it does happen) etc. I wanted to knock some sense to these couples so that they'd all come back to reality from their chocolate-laced, gift-filled, flower-surrounded fantasies. I mean was all the preparation necessary? Wasn't a simple dinner necessary to convey a message of love? Chocolates? Flowers? Gifts? Cards? I think that's a bit over the edge.

But why is that? Why do guys put their best foot forward, plan agonizingly for the "perfect date" and burn their pockets in the process? Unconditional Love? Or is it just to get laid? Perhaps a little of the former and a lot of the latter?

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not thinking this way because I'm bitter... Well actually I am. Not dating the only person I wanted on Valentine's was a devastating blow for me. Sure I could have gotten a date had I chosen to do it but I decided to drink the night away with my fellow love-challenged friends instead. Somehow, I dind't want to part of all the foolish couples on Valentine's. You might think I'm a lovemonger. I'm not; I'm just a love cynic :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home